When an older adult’s care needs increase, Westmeath responds by providing support while considering choice, dignity and independence where possible. Areas of support are offered in many ways catering to the individual’s needs and daily routines.
Memory Care serves individuals who are living with Dementia. The five most important things you should know about Dementia are:
- It’s not a natural part of ageing
- It’s caused by disease on the brain. The most common of these is Alzheimer’s
- It’s not just about losing your memory, it can affect thinking, communicating and managing everyday tasks
- It’s possible to live well with Dementia
- There’s more to a person than the Dementia
This Unit provides specific care that requires a trained, experienced team. Balancing safety, healthcare and meaningful, engaging moments is how Westmeath believes it is possible to live well with Dementia. Our Memory Care is rooted in a person-centered approach, focused on sustaining feelings of belonging and purpose while seeking to preserve a sense of self.
Generating daily moments of success helps our Residents to find happiness and meaning, while supporting their unique needs. When living at home is no longer the best option, there are positive options at Westmeath:
- Smaller Area of the Home with secured and monitored access
- 24 hour skilled care with a high Staff to Resident ratio
- Medication management and coordination with outside healthcare providers
- Dementia friendly environment and activities, including daily life skills that provide a sense of purpose, meaning and belonging