Westmeath was established in 1910 thanks to the financial contributionsof Ellisif Agassiz Trimingham, and her sister Emily Eliza Trimingham, who donated to fund a Home “for ladies of good social standing.”
The E.A. and E.E. Trimingham Trust was incorporated by Private Act of Parliament in 1936. Amendment Acts of 1959 and 1982 changed the object of the Trust, making Westmeath available to all persons regardless of their race, sex or social circumstances.
Under The Westmeath Trustees Act 1998, a new corporate body was formed to succeed the original Trust and this created the structure under which Westmeath operates today.
The current Westmeath property was purchased in the late 1940s. A major expansion took place in 1985 when Mr. R. A. Ferguson raised the funds and supervised the construction of the new Ferguson Wing, which bears his name.
In 1997 the Trustees embarked on a capital campaign to raise the money for two additional wings and the Nursing and Intermediate Wings officially opened in 1998.
Westmeath is now a comprehensive facility that cares for 64 Residents at various levels of care. Independent living, assisted living, life care, memory care and skilled nursing care are provided under one roof. In addition to providing care for our full time Residents, Westmeath also offers Convalescent Care for individuals who are recovering from surgery or illness, Respite Care and a Day Activities Programme.